Monday, January 12, 2015

Be the BEST

When my oldest son was in kindergarten, his teacher, Mrs. Saizon, taught the class this phrase:
To be the best that I can be the choice will always be up to me.

Every morning the kids would sit on the mat at the front of the classroom and recite those words.My chubby-cheeked 6-year-old stumbled over the sentence. But I thought it was clever and cute.

Now those words have become a motto for our family. Before my kids walk out the door in the morning, they call out the same phrase Mrs. Siazon taught to my oldest son. It’s a reminder to them…to me. To us all. That we are what we choose to be.

Today was kind of a rough day in the Summerill house--on the tail end of a rough weekend. It was one of those crap-shoot cluster of days that we all have now and then. Even though it was Monday morning, I felt utterly unprepared. I kind of wanted to lie in bed and do nothing. Ever feel that way?

I heard my oldest stirring downstairs, getting ready while I hibernated in my dark bedroom cave. I considered how I’d feel if I missed his morning send off statement. And then I sort of felt like a piece of crap.

Clothes on and teeth brushed, I barely made it in time to hug him before his junior high carpool came. Yeah, I’m up for mom of the year award. I know.

The horn honked.
Then my boy was running to the door. “Bye, Mom.”
“I love you,” I shouted, making up for my slow morning.

He looked back. “Luvyouto,” he mumbled, surprising me. Then he added. “To be the best that I can be the choice will always be up to me.”

His words helped me get up and get going today. They reminded me that every day I have a choice to be successful. To be the best. It’s always a choice.


It's Your choice.

Be the best that you can be.
luv, erin

9 SPLURTS:

Jessie Humphries said...

This is a great reminder. Sounds like it should go on a vision board!

Emily R. King said...

Aw, your son is great, Erin. Because his parents are great. :)

My best changes daily. I like to think of it on a scale of 1-10. Sometimes I can hit that 10, but other days an 8 is the best I can do. I've learned to forgive myself for my weaknesses (like not wanting to get out of bed, I totally do that too) and appreciate my willpower to get up anyway. It's way better than kicking myself in the arse all day for having a slow morning, ya know? Live and let live!

I hope you have your best day ever...tomorrow. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your oldest has a great attitude! Got you moving this morning. It is all our choice - good mood or bad mood.
Hope the rest of the week is looking up for you, Erin.
Or should I say Number Two Lurker Fan? Thanks!

Elana Johnson said...

Yes! I need to remember this. I wish I had a cool slogan from kindergarten.

Angela Brown said...

That is a pick-me-up motto if there ever was one. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Jenny S. Morris said...

Such a great thing for your family! And something we all need to remember.

Unknown said...

thanks ats information. pobud thanksgiving
bintang jaya herbal

Unknown said...

Im already the best, dear -
God made this mortal this best.
Lemme show you how to wiseabove
to be the best in the west, too...

Whoa, Nelly! Easy, girl!
Jussta varmint with fresh breath.
Wanna see my
oblong, dogged,
zigzag, wildfire blogs?
Gitr done, Paw!!

Unknown said...

Im already the best, dear -
God made this mortal this best.
Lemme show you how to wiseabove
to be the best in the west, too...

Whoa, Nelly! Easy, girl!
Jussta varmint with fresh breath.
Wanna see my
oblong, dogged,
zigzag, wildfire blogs?
Gitr done, Paw!!